So you may never surpass Lonina’s proposal to Sharon Mundia at the scenic Lake Michaelson, no need to lower your head in shame. It still needs to be memorable. With a little thought, imagination and a lot of love, there are various ways to propose to your better half that are both special and affordable.
1) Head to your girlfriend’s favorite place, whether it’s a hotel, restaurant, park, fountain, etc, tell a stranger to take a picture of both of you, then swoop in and propose. Sounds like scene from a romantic comedy? Its cliché but simple and it may just do the trick.
2) Take out a full-page ad in a newspaper, and make sure she sees it on her way to work or while having a relaxing breakfast (that you made preferably). A similar twist is to call into a radio station and then make sure your fiancé-to-be is listening when your proposal is on the air.
3) Here’s another idea straight out of a romantic comedy, plan a getaway destination for two, and propose to her on the plane with a little help from the loudspeaker system and the permission of a flight attendant. The extra effort would be appreciated. However, if you prefer to be more private with your proposal, any time throughout the vacation would do.
4) Gather a bunch of your friends and family for a party and have everyone put on a T-shirt bearing one of the letters in the phrase, “Will you marry me?” Then during the party suggest a group picture to reveal the message.
5) If you’re feeling adventurous, send your girlfriend on a treasure hunt, starting from your house which would finally end with a proposal. The treasure hunt may include a tour of her favorite spots and activities.
6) Create a trail from one spot in your home to another. Attach little notes and pictures recalling perfect moments in your relationship along the way. Wait for your partner at the end of the trail with the engagement ring in hand.
7) If you can cook go ahead and make a five-star-worthy meal of all your girlfriends’ favorite foods, or hire a personal chef for the night. Propose over dessert. If you’re feeling extra romantic, organize a personal chef to cook during closing hours at your girlfriend’s favorite restaurant. You can propose privately at her preferred eat out.
8) Put together a gift basket of yummy treats–like dark chocolate, coffee or fresh fruit– and hide the ring (in its box) among the presents.
9) With the help of your girlfriend’s coworkers, schedule a last-minute meeting toward the end of the day. Then move them away to a romantic spot to propose.