16 Things to Know About Each Other Before You Get Engaged
The idea of an engagement is scary for any couple. Are you really ready to take the next step? Why are you getting married? Do you enjoy your partner’s company? What are the honest reasons behind your engagement?
You may have known your partner for a really long time but perhaps you overlooked some critical aspects about your relationship. Here are 16 things to make sure you cover before getting down on one knee.
- Each others professional goals. Your career goals are likely to affect your relationship. Know what your partner wants to achieve professionally and make sure you are ready to support him/her to achieve these dreams.
- Your feelings about religion. Before your engagement, understand what it your faith means to you as a couple and how it is likely to affect your future family whether you are Christian, Jewish, Muslim or Atheist.
- Your spending and saving habits: It’s ok if you both have different saving and spending habits but just make sure you understand each others money attitudes and are able to live with that.
- Do you want children?: You need to understand each other in terms of when both of you want to have a family. You may not agree on the number of kids you want to have yet but knowing whether you both want children and when is critical.
- Parenting styles: You need to understand how both of you plan on raising your children. Do you share the same parenting style?
- Each others past: Knowing each others past is important because it helps you to understand your partner better.
- Any previous spouses or children: This is important because you don’t want to get surprises after your engagement.
- How each of you responds to stress: Stress is part of life and it can break the happiest marriages. Both of you need to know how to handle stressful situations by being there for each other and offering the necessary support.
- Each others best and worst qualities: Understand your partner’s best qualities and know how to accept the worst ones.
- Meet each others friends: Do not get engaged to someone whom you haven’t met his/her friends. If this person is not ready to introduce you to the friends then the relationship is not serious for an engagement.
- Know each others opinion on political and social issues. You don’t have to be on the same page since everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
- How to handle disagreements. What happens whenever you disagree? Conflict is a common part of relationships and you need to be respectful and willing to listen to each other.
- How to communicate with each other. Research has shown that many people divorce due to communication problems. How do you talk to your partner? Can you be brutally honest with him/her while speaking face to face?
- Each others hobbies: You need to know what the person that you love loves to do.
- How you expect your partner to take care of household duties. You are likely to disagree on how you take care of household chores but with proper communication, you will work through the disagreements.
- What you want to achieve in the future. Research has shown that couples who are more likely to divorce discovered that they wanted different things in life. You need to share the same dreams, hopes and a vision for your future together.
After all, getting married should be a lifelong commitment and you can’t take chances with the rest of your life can you?
Any other thing you think we forgot to mention. Let’s hear on the comment section below.