Happily ever after begins in the beautiful land of Kenya, Watamu to be precise. Kenya is known for its beautiful sceneries, eco-friendly environment and of course the magical experience it holds. Watamu is one of the best honeymoon destinations in the Kenyan coast. Watamu is located about 105 km North of Mombasa and 15 km from Malindi town. The ‘small heaven’ is tucked away in a secluded ambiance with complete beauty, warmth, hospitality and quietness.If you are looking forward to a romantic experience, look nowhere else. Watamu offers a complete honeymoon package: plush accommodation, delectable meals, great sceneries to visit and of course, the sun, sea and sand.
The delightful destination has a number of 5 star hotels that offer accommodation at its best, amazing restaurants and lounges that serve the best meals and amazing drinks. There are also places you visit and appreciate history before you head to the beach for some water surfing, deep sea-diving and sun basking.
What to do
Watamu Marine Park
The Watamu marine park happens to be the pride of Watamu and your tip is incomplete without a visit to the National Marine Park. The park is ideally the finest marine park in the country and is home for several wildlife species; fish, turtles, insects, arthropods, crabs. The park boasts over 500 coloured species of fish and 5 types of turtles. Imagine the excitement of viewing all these in one location!
Malindi Old Town
Drive to the town of Malindi one of the best tourist attraction sites in the region. It is an exciting place to be, for the locals and international guests as well. Malindi old town has narrow streets, interesting sites to view. There is the solid African presence of the locals (craftsmen and traders) making carvings, traditional artifacts and furniture. There are also a number of restaurants, hotels and coffee houses offering a wide range of Swahili and international cuisines. There is the usual display of shops and markets that have a lot to offer to the guests.
Visit the lost city of Gedi and take a long walk in the ruins. There is no better way to spend your mornings like to explore this ancient beauty.
Vasco Da Gama Monument
In the town of Malindi is the Vasco Da Gama monument that stands tall next to the ocean. You get quite a good view of it as you have some fresh fish at the Baobab hotel, Malindi town.
Turtle Bay Beach
The Kenyan coast is known for its white beaches, Turtle bay beach is one of the great beaches. You can swim, surf, lie in the sand and ride a camel.
Where to stay
The following are among the top rated hotels perfect for a honeymoon treat.
- Turtle Bay Beach- set within the Watamu marine park, the turtle bay is a superb location and lies on a fine white sand beach.
- AlHamra Hotel- this facility sits on the stretch of the famous Indian ocean, offering luxurious accommodation and easy access to the turtle bay beach and the Watamu marine park
- Aquaris Beach hotel- this hotel is ideally located 25 km south of Malindi, in the National Marine park of Watamu.
- Hemingways Resort- welcome to amazing treat at the Hemingways. Located on the stretch of Indian ocean, the resort overlooks the beautiful Watamu marine park
- Naishi Watamu beach house- Naishi beach house sits in a more secluded place though not so far from the Watamu village. The beach house is a perfect location for people looking forward to a more private and intimate treat
Welcome to Watamu, the land of love. Celebrate your union in this little heaven filled with nothing but beauty and tranquility.