Are you and your spouse fighting? Do not panic, conflicts are part of a healthy relationship. It doesn’t matter how soon in your marriage it is for conflicts to arise. Normal people fight, quarrel and disagree at one point in life.
However do not dwell on conflict more than you should. The more time you keep on arguing, the more damage you bring to your relationship. Below are 5 ways that will help you resolve conflicts and keep your marriage strong.
- Accept and adjust to your differences – The first step is accepting that you two completely different people. Failing to accept this leads to arguments most of which are always over petty things. For your marriage to work, you have to understand your differences and respect each other.
- Consider you marriage as a Life commitment – You agreed to marry your spouse before God, friends and family. You also vowed to be together in bad and good times. Always think of your relationship as a lifelong commitment. This way you will be able to handle conflicts as they arise.
- Listen, and Think before you speak – The tongue is our worst enemy and most conflicts are as a result of the wrong things you say when you’re angry. However, if you want a long lasting happy marriage, learn to listen to your spouse. Do not be too quick to speak when you are angry either. In other words, communicate and give loving confrontation without looking at the person responsible.
- Quit the assumptions – Most people are carried away by their emotions and end up making up stories about their partners. Some go to an extent of reading their spouses minds. Now this is the most absurd behavior which is totally discouraged.
- Always Pray – Prayer is a strong weapon that we all need. And like they say, ‘A family that prays together stays together’. Always feel the need to go down on your knees in prayer.
- Be Honest and apologize if guilty – Do not build your relationship on lies. If you are guilty, your spouse deserves an apology. So the least you could do is accept that you are wrong, be honest about it and apologize no matter how big the problem is.
- Last but not least, focus on your problem other than attacking each other.