Maintaining a happy, healthy and satisfying relationship is no easy task. It requires both parties to put in effort and make things work. We are not just talking about intimate relationships with our partners but also the relationships that exist among friends, colleagues and family members too. Each one of these relationships has their own complications.
We do understand that every marriage has its ups and down. That’s why we found it important to come up with some relationship advice for couples who are going through a rough patch in their marriage.
Research shows that if you do something every day, within 21 days, it will become a habit. Select any of the following and they might make you happier and more satisfied as a couple.
- Go to bed at the same time: Just like in your first years of marriage when you couldn’t wait to go to bed at the same time.
- Look for common interests: It’s difficult to maintain the same level of passion after many years of marriage having similar interests will help you to engage in certain activities together and enjoy spending time together.
- Trust and forgive: On our blog on 5 traits strong relationships have in common, we talked about holding grudges and how they only worsen your relationship. Learn to trust and forgive your partner for their wrong doings and realize your faults as well.
- Focus on the positives: Concentrate on what your partner does right rather than focusing on their negative qualities. Remember that no one is perfect.
- Hug each other more often: This may seem cliché but it does work. AS humans, we naturally respond to certain levels of touch. If nicely touched, we feel loved, if badly touched we feel abused and if not touched at all, we feel neglected. It’s just human nature.
- Check on your partner during the day: Call or text your partner to find out how their day is coming along.
- Spend quality time together just the two of you: Even though you have kids to take care of, look for a special day in a week where you set aside a date night for the two of you.
- Pay attention to your partner: Pay attention to your partner by showing interest in their conversations and basically taking an initiative to know what’s going on with her/his life.
- Apologize when you are on the wrong; Don’t let the ego ruin your relationship. Adults should be able to genuinely apologize when they are wrong.
- Most importantly, say “I love you” more often
Of course every marriage is different but issues can be overcome if both parties are willing to fix them.