You probably assume booking a wedding reception venue is easy- you visit the site, like the way it looks, pay the deposit and then sit back and wait for the big day. But there’s more to booking the place where you’ll celebrate the biggest party of your life. In fact finding the perfect venue is usually the hardest part of planning- but it can be done.
We’ve done a simple wedding planning checklist before and it covers all activities involved when planning a wedding to the very last day. This time round, we decided to come up with a checklist or guide that helps to plan for the reception venue.
This wedding reception venue checklist begins a year prior to the wedding but you can always adjust it to meet the duration of time you have for planning your wedding.
1 Year to go
This is basically where the initial planning begins. You can start by looking at the venues that suit your wedding style, budget and needs. Make sure you have a list of several venues to choose from.
- Book your wedding reception venue early if you plan on hosting the party at a popular location.
- Start shopping for a venue early enough if you’ll be getting married during the holidays.
- If you’ll be having a destination wedding, you’ll need to start looking for a reception and ceremony venue a year before the wedding date.
8 Months to go
Start looking for a venue 8 months prior if you are looking for a place that is not very popular.
- Ask friends and family to recommend reception venues within your wedding budget
- Search for affordable wedding venues online
- Drop into hotels, gardens and function centers during your free time to see what they have to offer
- Remember that a good venue should be practical and have the right ambience.
6 Months to go
Time is running up, you need to decide on the wedding reception venue Nairobi and book
- Visit the venue instead of making decisions on the pictures you see
- Discuss the details of a reception venue before booking
- Think of your wedding vendors; will they all be able to get to the venue?
- Start looking for ideas on the decorations that will be used in your chosen venue
4 Months to go
This is the time to finalize all the details
- Decide on whether you’ll make the decorations on your own or you’ll hire a professional to do it.
- Visit the venue with your friends and agree on some of the decorations that would look good.
- If you decide to buy the decorations, now is the time to make that purchase.
A month to go
With just a month to the wedding, you should be having an accurate guest list so it’s time to work on the seating arrangement.
- Talk to the staff at the reception venue to discuss the seating arrangements that they have done before.
- Make sure you set aside space for your vendors especially the sound guys, photographers and caterers.
- Finalize on the floor plan and décor.
A week to go
At this point, all the critical decisions have been made and it’s time to do a follow up.
- Discuss with the people who will be responsible for décor and seating to make sure they are clear on their roles.
- Choose someone who will be responsible for collecting your wedding presents.
- You may need to get ushers to keep things in order