Imported Vs. Tailored Gowns Which one would you choose?
If you were to choose between tailored gowns and imported wedding gowns, which one would you go for? After going through numerous bridal magazines checking hundreds of different designs, silhouettes and cuts, you may still feel overwhelmed by the whole shopping experience.
Shopping for a wedding dress is overwhelming for every bride. You can import your wedding gown from overseas or have a tailor make your dress locally. Each of these options comes with their pros and cons.
Advantages of Imported wedding gowns
- Imported gowns tend to be unique as you will rarely see another bride in Kenya with the same dress.
- They have better finishes compared to tailored gowns because of the skilled craftsmanship of wedding designers abroad.
- It feels great to wear a designer gown on your big day. Some brides prefer to go all out and spoil themselves adorning designer wear, including their dresses. Some of the key wedding dress designers include: :Lazaro, Pnina Tornai, Veluz Reyes, Pronovias just to name a few.
Disadvantages of imported wedding dresses
- Shipping costs can be an issue when it comes to imported wedding attire. Depending on country of origin, some shipping costs can be as high as the price of the dress.
- The dress may not be as it appears on the website: Buying a dress without viewing it beforehand or trying it on can be a real test for the bride. Not only does this demand the bride to rely on the integrity of the seller, but it also increases pre-wedding anxiety
- Damage during shipping is another issue. The dress may come into contact with the salt water or other components that destroy the dress.
- There’s the risk of the dress getting lost during shipping.
A tailored dress is perfect for the unique bride who wants her ideas put on paper and tailored by a local tailor as she tweaks and helps bring the design to life.
Some local designers include the acclaimed Monica Kanari of Occasions n’ Days who is known her keen attention to detail through her merging of traditional and modern designs to come with a perfect dress.
Advantages of tailored dresses
- You are likely to get the exact design you want. The local tailor gets to use the materials of your choice, to create a perfect fit, not forgetting accessorizing it with a personalized touch. Some brides opt for African accessories such as beads and calabashes on their dress.
- You are assured of what your dress looks like
- Use of locally available materials means the dress will be slightly cheaper.
- There are no shipping costs.
- Tailored dresses are unique as it is the bride’s creation and may never be replicated.
Disadvantages of tailored dresses
- Poor finishes. Not all local designers are versed with how to make a wedding dress and this may result in shoddy craftsmanship
- Few local tailors with the know-how to tailor a wedding dress
We can help you get the best imported wedding gowns from reliable vendors.